Tuesday, June 29, 2004

MLB players' World Cup views

The Associated Press this week collected some Major Leaguers' views on the proposed World Cup. Here, a summary:

Player MLB Club Country +/- Quote
Jorge Posada NYY Puerto Rico + "Obviously, we'll be playing, doing something," Posada. What's important here is you've got to be loyal to the team. I'd have to ask the Yankees, but I would love to play."
Albert Pujols STL Dominican Republic + "It doesn't matter because if you play, you'll still get in good shape and see some live pitching. You're going to be ready. You just need to respect this game and take it seriously. If I have the opportunity to play, I'm going to play."
Lance Berkman HOU USA - "I don't see how it's going to work here. How are we going to benefit the game with that? The baseball season is so long already, I don't think it will be good to have this thing then. Spring training is kind of when you ease back into things. I think the World Cup would be more appropriate if they played it in the Olympics."
Jeff Bagwell HOU USA ? "It's a nice theory, but the problem is that we have to get guys ready to play and to pitch in the spring. I just don't know how logically that could work. No one would want to take a chance on getting their players hurt. You have the entire baseball season to go after that."
Darin Erstad ANA USA - "If I was perfectly healthy, I still wouldn't do it. Everything I do is geared to helping the Angels, and that's the most important thing."
Alex Rodriguez NYY USA ? "If I'm invited, I'd definitely consider it."
Bernie Williams NYY Puerto Rico ? "I'd like to play, but I don't know."
Ivan Rodriguez DET Puerto Rico + "I would play, no problem. You're still playing, still practicing, so it is not a big deal."
Mariano Rivera NYY Panama - "It would interest me, but I got a job here; the World Cup won't guarantee me anything,"
Daryle Ward PIT USA ? "I think it is a pretty neat thing to put together. It's going to be strange to do it in March. It will be a big adjustment to make."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home